Saturday, November 17, 2007

Eventful week


It started with a nice visit from my grandparents. They took me for many walks. We visited the bay and saw artwork outdoors. Weekly, I am booked with therapy every morning, but this week we doubled up with doctor's appointments in addition to my therapies. I was so busy I hardly had time to squeeze in a nap.

Monday, I sat on the "swing" in OT and held on with both hands. My oma (grandma) took a picture, above.

On Tuesday, oma saw me perform at hippotherapy. I believe I impressed her with my equestrian riding form and technique. Unfortunately, it was hindered by a Boppy pillow. My skills are too advanced for it and thank goodness I don't need it next time. Then we saw the gastrointestinal doctor for a follow-up. I now weigh 23 lbs. Other than that, this visit was uneventful. I didn't get to see the actual doctor, who would be a great Michael J. Fox impersonator, just his nurse. She was pretty boring.

On Wednesday we saw a representative for the company where I'm getting my gait trainer (walker) from. He was almost as good-looking as me ;). He measured me, showed me his company's catalog, and helped me select the product that best suited me. Hopefully I will have my new, blue, gait trainer within 6-8 weeks. I can't wait to peruse my house, the grocery store (free cookies), park (might be a little rough but I like twigs and leaves), mall (hello power walkers who get there before the stores open), and anywhere else where I can be supervised by a responsible adult.

Thursday I saw my craniosacral therapist in the morning and an orthopedic doctor in the afternoon, who woke me up by flexing my legs, twisting my hips and stretching my feet. There, I had x-rays taken, which I fought against, of my spine, hips and feet. This required my mom and a nurse to sit on the platform with me and receive a small amount of radiation while my bones had their picture taken. The doc said everything looked good on film. However, she was not happy about my "floppy" ankles and ordered me to have AFO's (plastic ankle braces) made. I have an appointment next week, sigh. In her opinion, I am small enough to wear the AFO's for six months and downgrade thereafter to something different. She was happy to see the flexibility of my feet, but stated I was flat footed at this time. This is the first time I've been labeled as having hemiplegic CP (cerebral palsy). It all is starting to make more sense. My whole right side is weaker than my left.

My daddy came home on Friday and I screamed with delight to see him! I have to one up my dog Rufus for attention since I am still shorter than him. After months of practicing, I can wave bye and blow a kiss with my hand. I think I'm getting some new teeth in too, the vampire (canine) ones, I've been biting a lot, including people. Chomp!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your oma loved to be with you and your mom.. we had so much fun and you're becoming such a big boy.. We love you so much and soon we won't be able to keep up with you!