Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's been so long...

... since my last entry. Where do I begin? I'll work my way backwards. In case you've missed seeing me (or forgotten what I look like), here I am at my desk:

Notice my muscular arms. And here's an action shot:

Yep, I've been working hard these past few weeks. So just because I haven't been blogging, doesn't mean I've been on vacation. I can eat chicken from the bone now.


Today we saw a conductive education therapist from Hungary for evaluation. Her name is Zsuzsi and I took a liking to her right away. She is Jake's therapist and that's how we found her. She treats out of her house. She has a Master's Degree in Hungary for this, but it does not apply here. She is studying to get her Master's Degree in OT in America. Her background consists of training from Peto Institute, Budapest, Hungary. That's the source. She's selective in who she treats and therefore has only eight patients. Her living and dining room have been converted into a therapy room. She has lots of new and exciting equipment that I've never seen before and couldn't wait to get my hands on.

After all the climbing, rolling, sitting, standing, using two hands, her evaluation of me was complete. I do a lot of neck sitting, which is where I lean my head all the way back to sit up. This is because I have low back strength and low trunkal tone. On a positive note, I do use both hands, and even though I prefer my left, I can bring both to my midline, clap, etc. My legs are weak, especially my ankles. Zsuzsi would be working to increase strength and endurance to this and other areas. We're going to start seeing her every other Saturday for an hour until her schedule allows more. I am a good candidate for conductive education. For more info, see links on sidebar.

I continue with Ms. Cindy and Aquatherapy. We tried a morning appointment, since last time I almost fell asleep in the pool - not good! This week she put a sock on my left hand. I tried to take it off with my mouth. It didn't work. So after not much complaining, I started grabbing the stacking cups and blocks with my right hand. Hooray for me! We have to share a pool with the kids at summer camp, since we're in a public park. I always thought they were there to cheer me on, especially the girls :)

I spent some time with my Oma, Grandpa and Abuela.



I also spent some time with my aunts and uncles. One of my uncles is named Engelbert. I learned how to say his name within a matter of minutes - Ehbot. Why use all the extra letters. I also learned how to work a portable dvd player. I know where "play" is, that's what's important. Play, pause, play, pause. One button does it all.

Elmopalooza is a game I play online. It involves Elmo and the letters on the keyboard. Ms. Amy at speech sat me on her lap and loaded the game for me. She asked me where a letter was and I would find it on the keyboard. Then I would press it to hear Elmo repeat it on screen. That's he fun part. Sometimes he giggles. After numerous turns, she was convinced that I should go pro. I have been practicing at home. Maybe there's a gaming community somewhere looking for someone just like me. I'll keep my eye out.

After weeks of watching him effortlessly pull himself to stand, my friend Talan started walking. This week, he held onto the aluminum walker and took some steps unassisted. On Monday he only took a few. Then on Wednesday, he practically walked down the hall. He really took off. Talan has CP too, but we're complete opposite tone wise. I'm high tone and he's low tone. His legs aren't as stiff so it's easier for him to move them. I've got some homework to do. No more using my seat to walk in my gait trainer. Hopefully I won't outgrow it before I learn to use it better. It's approaching the tallest setting now. Ahh!

We're going to St. Louis this weekend for our appointment on Monday. I have placed a link on the sidebar. I will get evaluated there. Dr. Brunstrom (who has CP herself) is not accepting any new patients at this time, but we will see an ARNP and receive all of the same evaluations. That's what we want anyway. Eventually, at a future appt. the doctor will see us and we'll already have our foot in the door. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

James Forliti - Blue's Dad. said...

Atta boy! our conductor is also named Zsuzsi. She's finishing the summer session this Friday and then she'll be gone! Keep it up, Biscuit. All the little details are worth it.

- James, Blue's Dad.
http://zsippzsupp.blogspot.com/2008/08/summer-school-yuck-or-not.html