Friday, June 13, 2008

2 Year Check-Up



Here is proof, I am standing. Just so you know, I achieved this position alone. Please hold your applause... Ok, that's long enough :p . I am happy to be standing and yes, it is still hard to do.

I visited my pediatrician yesterday, Dr. Yonker. It was time for my 2 year check up. I weighed 27 lbs and was 35 ¾ inches tall. That's just shy of three feet. Sounds pretty tall to me. Dr. Yonker was surprised to hear me sing the alphabet, count and crawl across the floor. It saddened us to hear that she is closing her office and retiring next month. Apparently she needs a new partner and cannot find anyone willing to work the hours. Since we will no longer see her, she provided us with a school entry exam form which states that besides my physical delays, I can full participate in school activities, including physical education! We had a group hug. She has been with us from the beginning and we'll miss her.

What we won't miss is the crunchy exam table paper or the shots. In addition to ordinary vaccines, I had to get RSV shots every month for about 10 months (supposed to be 12, but they ran out) before the age of one. I therefore have port-traumatic stress. Next doctor.

Story time is back in session at the library. I went yesterday and met a new friend, Jake. Jake has Cerebral Palsy also. Jake and I share many interests. He rides Sunny at hippotherapy and sees Ms. Amy for Speech. I also ride Sunny and see Ms. Amy. It's a small world. We have a lot to talk about. Now, if only Jake could talk... I went back today to meet Jake for lap sit story time. I may be a tad too old for this class. Most of these kids are just learning to walk so it's easy for me to knock them down. Have you seen my upper body muscles? I certainly towered over all the kids there and I was more of a "bully" that a friend. I said "Hi" to a few of them, but they did not respond. I took their toys away and even smacked a couple kids that got too close. They need to motivate their articulators and speak up. My mom had to step in a few times to apologize on my behalf, dust off the babies and then we exited (with Jake) quietly. Discipline was in full force. I'd better stick to going Thursday only, for safety purposes.



We have been referred to Cerebral Palsy Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital by the PT at hippotherapy, Ms. Mary. Apparently, they are the best of the best. We called for an appointment, they sent us a package to fill out and requested my latest therapy reports and a homemade dvd. Above is part of that dvd, crawling. And I did it on queue. We were finally able to complete everything and mail it out this week. Apparently there is a waiting list. Hopefully we can get an appointment and get evaluated. We have been told that at your appointment, not only will you get examined by the doctor, but you will also be evaluated by their team of therapists, including orthopaedics. We're looking forward to their advise and suggestions for my future.



My Oma visited last weekend and brought a wheelbarrow for me. It's wooden, homemade and has my name carved into the front. Her friend made it for her, for me. I would like to publicly thank Mr. and Mrs. McCue for my wheelbarrow. I like to put stuff in it and drag it along the floor. Maybe it will motivate me to pick it up and push. Then I'd be a multi-tasker! Thank you. Also, thank you oma (and grandpa) for always thinking of me.

My mom used to play a Regina Spektor album several months ago. There is a song - On the Radio, which she started singing again last weekend, and guess what, I sang the chorus. I remembered it right when the song began. My memory is serving me well. It's working! It surprised everyone to see exactly how my mind works. SAT's, here I come.

My friend Emma made it home from the hospital and is recuperating. She is fighting a tough fight (Left Hypoplastic Heart Syndrome) and she does it so bravely, yet daintily at the same time. She thanks you for all your well wishes towards her. I thank you too.

No comments: