Thursday, June 26, 2008

Aquatherapy

This week is the first time in a long time that I did not cry at hippotherapy. I guess I missed it after two weeks away. I was placed on Sunny and did not even fuss. I waved happily at my adoring fans on the sidelines. They always cheer for me when I ride by. I started riding 8 months ago, unsteady, not able to sit up on the horse; I required a pillow in front for support. Now I just sit on a quilt with nothing in front, it’s flat. I am so strong that I sit up straight and can even grab rings or open the mailbox at our pit stops. All of this from on top of Sunny.

Dr. Sevilla is my new pediatrician. We visited him at his new office on Monday. He was impressed that we’re going to the St. Louis CP center in July. He’s known for being a holistic doctor and does not look down on the fact that I receive alternative therapies. Whatever helps me do better, he said. It didn’t bother him that I was trying to turn his computer off while discovering his floor. I also opened all the drawers and took out whatever I could find. I needed to know exactly what was going on there.

At OT, I didn’t cry either. What a relief for everyone. I told my mom goodbye and was ready to work after she walked out of the room. I know she comes back to get me and playing with Ms. Mary Ann is a lot of fun. I went on the log swing and fell off, on purpose, several times. Everything is padded so it’s fun to fall. I also climbed up the slide and sat on top for a while before coming down. This week we played the Memory Game. I flip all the cards over and win! I'm learning to take turns. Right now, it's my turn every time.

I understand when someone tells me to use two hands or sit up. I will follow directions as soon as I eat whatever interesting particle I found on the floor. The top of my shoes get worn out and the soles of my shoes still look brand new.

Aquatherapy is an hour of though work. Ms. Cindy is an OT and she incorporates that in the water. I saw her for the first time yesterday. We met at the park pool. There were lots of other kids there with their summer camps. I just thought they were there to be with me. She made me do front crunches, side crunches, lots of stretching, reaching, kicking, inner tube stuff, all in the pool. After that, I was pooped! Good thing we met the lifeguards too, just in case. Then she stayed and helped dress my top while my mom dressed my bottom. What a gal! Thanks to Jake for referring me to her. He sees her too. We're going to Jake's for a play date tomorrow.

At the library, we sang with Dave Moran and his guitar. I found a nice little family to sit with and pretended I belonged there. They didn’t seem to mind. My mom sat with Jake and his nanny, Stefanie, in the back. I kept seeing her move her mouth and wave at me. I wonder what she wanted. I sat sideways to have one ear on the music and the rest of my focus was on a television cart with a dvd player. How could I reach those buttons? I crawled all over the room dodging kids who stood upright and ran past. Eventually, they all had to sit down too. I had the right idea.

Elmo's Lift and Look Book is my favorite. I ask for it every night. I have recently learned shapes. My page of preference is the one with the entire alphabet on it. You can flip open each letter and see what's hiding behind it. One time, when I was helping myself, I flipped all the letters open and tore them out. They have since been repaired. Nothing that clear packing tape and a sharpie marker couldn't fix. Now, it's indestructible and has a glossy finish.

I still don’t sleep well at night. I call out in the middle of my sleep even though I’m not really awake. This usually occurs between 2 and 4 a.m. I don’t know how to self-soothe. I am also having troubling pooping again. They are both most likely intertwined. Bummer.

No comments: