Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mobile Stander





I've had my Rifton Mobile Stander for a few weeks now. We ordered it ourselves from Custom Mobility. They came to our house and measured me and when it came, they delivered and custom fit it to me. I've been using it everyday and I don't mind it too much. It's a prone stander so I lean forward on it and the straps are behind me. It's more compact that my Rifton Gait Trainer, and the pieces are interchangeable (Note: United Healthcare did not pay for either of these mobility devices). I use the tray from my gait trainer on my stander when I have a snack, play "buttons" or read a book. I like to be hands free and my favorite activity while standing in it is bowling! The tone in my right hand is less, since I'm not struggling to hold myself up and play at the same time.

Zsuzsi, of conductive ed, has a foam bowling set that I quickly became enthralled with. One day shortly after that session, I was able to identify a bowling competition on ESPN. I jumped up and down on my knees with my hands in the air when the ball hit the pins. I didn't let anyone change the channel. I can now properly identify numerous sports when I see them. The applause from the crowd really makes me happy. I love bowling!

The good thing about this stander is that the big wheels can come off (in case I need to roll under a table or something) and the frame stands alone (with smaller wheels). I am still working on pushing myself forward with two hands. At the moment, I mostly use my left hand and only roll in a circle. It's frustrating.

Thank you, once again, to the therapists at St. Louis for recommending the mobile stander for me. Since I move so much, it's definitely the right fit for me.

No comments: