Thursday, October 9, 2008

Physiatrist

Last month, I had an appointment in Tampa with Dr. Kornberg, Physiatrist. He saw me, was impressed at how mobile and active I was, and was convinced that with the right equipment I would be walking in a short time. He prescribed me an aluminum walker to start using. He also prescribed me with knee immobilizers to stretch my hamstrings. He likewise agreed that I probably should have had a stander one year ago. And finally, he suggested I receive botox injections to my right hamstring and right thumb. I was particularly tight that day, especially since I had had minimal time on the floor in the previous weeks (something they suggested to us in St. Louis to prevent "W" sitting).

My parents were particularly concerned about the botox injections, since we had received different advice in St. Louis, suggesting that I am not a candidate for them. Upon our second visit to St. Louis we requested and were re-evaluated by both physical and occupational therapists. They agreed that I needed a balance between floor time, standing time and chair time. The tone in my right hand had increased due to less floor time. I just needed to correct my sitting and not "W" sit. Apparently, they only prescribe botox injections to kids who are super tight and cannot open their hand(s)at all. They said that if I were to receive botox injections, it could negatively affect my grip on the walker, making my muscle too relaxed to grab the walker. They also believe that the standing should help decrease my tone.

The therapists spent about 1½ hours with my parents and I. I must say that their therapy room was more like a giant playground with lots of fun things to do. One of the best I've ever seen. I was prescribed a second glove to wear when on the floor. It's a Benik with thermoplast web space. I was also properly measured for the McKie Thumb Splint and re-prescribed it with thermoplast web space (they will apply thermoplast upon request for an additional $10 if you call them). I should wear the McKie when I'm not wearing the Benik.

Overall, no botox for me right now and from now on, everything goes though St. Louis. Like they said, it's a one stop shop. They know everything. They have seen over 3,000 kids with CP. They do believe, however, that my right forearm is a possibility for botox in the future.

No comments: