Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Eye Muscle Surgery



I am happy to report that I have been to St. Louis Children's Hospital again. Why would I be happy to report that, you ask? Well, on September 18, I had eye muscle surgery there to correct my strabismus. I have posted a slideshow of our trip. The day before surgery, we visited the rooftop garden at the hospital. That's where most of these pictures were taken. A therapy dog came to visit me. She was soft and fuzzy and let me pet her to relieve my stress. I has both eyes done. Dr. Tyschen did a great job. The procedure itself took about one hour. The other two hours were spent going in and coming out of anesthesia. As I recall, I had a strawberry scented mask. As soon as I woke up from anesthesia, I looked at my parents and they had never seen me look so straight.

The recovery wasn't bad either. I spent most of the rest of that day sleeping my our hotel room across the street. When I woke up to eat, my eyes were red on the outside of the white part. No oozing, but I did have bloody tears on the first day, which is normal. We flew home the next day. Then, every night for a week I had to get ointment in my eyes to soothe them. I got mine after I was already asleep to ensure tranquility in our house. Here I am, three weeks later, and my eyes are cleared up. As my parents say, this was a piece of cake compared to other things I have been through. Now I'm happier and more confident overall.

No comments: