Saturday, October 25, 2008

Orthopaedic

Last week, I had an appointment with Dr. Novick, Pediatric Orthopaedic. I had an x-ray taken of my hips and I'm happy to report that all is well. Even though I always "W" sat, the outcome was still positive for me. My hips were where they're supposed to be. Then I willingly allowed her to pick me up and place me on the table (even though it had crunchy paper on it, which I usually hate). She stretched my legs in many different directions (or tried to) and was concerned that there was a lot of tone in them. This appointment was in the early afternoon (when I am usually napping) so I was a bit tired and when I'm tired, my tone is higher.

Ultimately, she suggested that I be stretched (since she understood that my PT does not stretch me due to time constraints) every day, especially my legs and hips. She also prescribed to me a hip positioner to sleep in for extra stretching. Unfortunately, or not, when we went to order it and saw what it was, we declined to place the order. There is no way I would sleep in it. It looked like a hard foam diaper with a ring for each thigh, keeping my legs apart while wearing it. Now, my mom has been putting a pillow between my legs when I fall asleep. It stays there for a little while, until I roll over, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully my standing, at home stretching and pillow will do the trick. Our follow-up is in four months.

No comments: